Mom & Dad.

I hope you all are having a good week.  I’ve been through some up’s and down’s, and I’ve learned a lot, both in a classroom and out of it.  This past week, I’ve been reflecting a lot on my own family, specifically on my parents and I am becoming very appreciative of everything they have done for me and my siblings.  I have even pondered how effective my own parenting will be because of the example I was given growing up, from both Mom and Dad.  I would like to base my thoughts tonight on parents, with emphasis on why I believe that male and female are different but equally important, not just in family, but in life in general.


As I look back (not too long ago, mind you) and think of my father, I mostly remember him as the provider, the presider, and the protector.  My dad has been a hard worker for as long as I can remember, I could never even think of using the adjective “laid back” to describe him.  He has always made sure that we have had enough.  He never ceases to impress me with his dedication and love towards his family; both immediate and extended.  He naturally has the desire to provide financially, to work hard so we can eat, have shelter, and feel safe and secure.  He has become a leader in our family.  His example has taught me that being the leader doesn’t mean that you are the most important one in the room, it means you are lovingly responsible for everyone in the room; both in the proverbial and literal sense.

Mother has been the nurturer, the teacher, and the watcher.  She cared for me throughout my childhood; making sure I was doing what I was supposed to, teaching me what was wrong and what was right, in fact, she also taught me how to write.  She was the firm voice of reason when I got into trouble.  She was the big heart and open arms when I was hurt or sad.  She was always watching, making sure I had enough and was doing enough.  From her, I learned discipline, obedience, and kindness.  Without her, I would never have learned courtesy, respect, or chivalry.

Throughout history, science, and religion, the roles of man and women, mother and father, have been studied, defined, and explained.  The simplest yet most fulfilling statement of belief was published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints back in 1995 in a document titled:  The Family, A Proclamation to the World.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.”

Similarly, studies have shown that families with both mom and dad in the picture, together, provide a much healthier environment; emotionally and mentally and children raised in such families have shown to be happier, healthier, and have a higher chance of success. (http://www.familystructurestudies.com/outcomes/).  What are your thoughts?

Love,
MP

Comments

Popular Posts